Learn how to set up a branded URL and remove Flipsnack branding.
Table of contents:
Branding your link means setting up a domain or subdomain. Flipsnack makes it possible for you to make your publications look like they have been created entirely by your company.
You can literally remove all Flipsnack branding from the page, add your own logo, your own favicon, and customize the footer. Additionally, you can also change the URL.
The difference between subdomain and domain
The image below shows the components of a website URL. If you're reading this article, you probably already have a website, so you can easily identify your brand domain.
For instance, if you’re already publishing catalogs through Flipsnack and want to brand the link you’re sharing with potential clients, it might be a good idea to personalize it like this: https://catalogs.yourwebsite.com. This means you would be using a subdomain to host your publications.
With Flipsnack, you can actually choose between 2 options:
use a subdomain from your site for all your publications
or set up a domain
Either way, you will only have to set this up once, and all the flipbooks that you publish through Flipsnack will use your custom (sub)domain in their URL.
Using a custom subdomain
If you don't want to use Flipsnack or your website's domain as part of the URL, you can simply connect another website domain to your Flipsnack profile. Most of our customers go for the subdomain because that option makes the most sense for most brands.
If you click on any of the links above, go a step further and click on any of the publications featured on their profile to see how the URL of a publication looks.
How to set them up a custom subdomain
To configure your CNAME, the first thing you need to know is that you need a Flipsnack Business PLUS or Enterprise plan.
After you have purchased it, on the bottom left of the Main dashboard, click on Branding.
On the Settings page, you’ll find a section called Custom domain.
3. Click on the Configure domain button, and the Connect your subdomain popup will open.
4. Enter your subdomain just like in the example below and click on Next.
Warning: When you’re entering your subdomain, please make sure the domain you’re using is IANA-compliant. Otherwise, the setup will not work.
5. Choose between the custom SSL provided by Flipsnack or import a custom SSL certificate.
The following scenario is when you choose the SSL provided by Flipsnack. If you want to import a custom certificate, click the above link and follow the steps from that article.
6. The Configure your DNS popup will appear.
7. Then you’ll have to go to your Domain Registrar or DNS Provider (The website that sold and allowed you to register your current website address). Open it in a new tab, log in, and check the DNS settings. We’re using Cloudflare for the step-by-step process explained in this article, but you can check out more about the process of setting a CNAME with different providers a little below in this article.
8. Create a new record for the Page domain. Set the Type to CNAME, add your preferred Host, and point it to the value listed in the Flipsnack configuration popup. Next, if your DNS provider has a Proxy option, make sure to disable it. Once you have the correct settings, click Save.
9. Once you’ve done these steps, go back to Flipsnack and click on Verify status. Now your status will change to Pending. It might take approximately 5 minutes for the status to change from Pending to Successful, so you’ll have to click on Verify status to check for any status updates.
The Pending status means that you’ve set everything all right, and we are processing your request.
11. If everything goes well, the status should be Successful. Now you can check your website.
The Successful status means that your domain passed all the verifications and is now set up. From this moment, your link profile and your flipbooks’ link have been changed. Instead of the old link, you should now be able to access the custom-branded link you’ve just set up.
Other possible scenarios when the configuration might not work:
1. You set up a domain that doesn’t exist. This situation occurs if the subdomain has a domain that is either misspelled or not purchased. In order to set it right, make sure to purchase the domain first and then try to set it up again.
2. You set up a domain with a CAA record configuration. This situation occurs if you already have a CAA record configured for your subdomain. You’ll have to create a new CAA record with the value "0 issue letsencrypt.org" or "0 issue sectigo.com" in your DNS provider and then restart the setup.
3. Validation timeout status means that you didn’t set the DNS settings properly within 72 hours. You need to restart the process from scratch. Delete the custom domain, make a new one, and repeat the entire process.
4. The Contact support status means that you need to contact our support team via live chat for further assistance.
5. If you make changes in your DNS settings, the status will have to be refreshed in Flipsnack. The Successful status will be changed. Therefore, you’ll have to correct the DNS settings or start the process again by deleting the current setting.
How to delete an existing configuration
If you want to delete the custom subdomain, then simply click on the Delete button. A popup will open to confirm that you want to delete it, just like in the image below.
Below you have a list of the most common domain providers and links to their guidelines on how to change the DNS settings by using their platforms:
Using a custom domain
You can also opt for a custom domain to host your publications.
Here are some examples of domains connected to Flipsnack:
How to set up a domain
The setup is a lot more complicated, and it requires some workaround solutions. We can’t provide a step-by-step tutorial in this case because it varies a lot from one domain provider to another. This is why we strongly encourage you to use a subdomain for your Flipsnack profile and flipbooks.
However, if you really really want to use a custom domain, please contact our live chat support team. They will put you in contact with our tech team, which will figure out a solution.
Flipsnack provides a complex branding solution for catalogs. Contact your account manager for more information.